Iran Wants EU Protection From U.S. Sanctions, Declares "Surgery" On Nuclear Deal
Iran has warned major signatories of the 2015 Nuclear Treaty that it will resume high-level enrichment of uranium if the other powers do not hold to agreements they made 4 years ago.
President Hassan Rouhani said in a tweet on Wednesday that the EU would face Iran’s “further actions” if Iranian interests are not protected.
Since the United States under President Trump withdrew from the treaty, they have re-imposed crippling economic sanctions on Iran. On November 5th, 2018 the Office of Foreign Assets Control released a Blocked-Persons List of over 700 Iranian individuals, including several members of the Iranian National Oil Company.
Now, after several more provocations by the United States, such as Trump designating Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism, and their Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organisation right out, Tehran is seemingly in no mood to continue cow-towing to limitations on its nuclear weapons program.
"We felt that the nuclear deal needs a surgery, and the painkiller pills of the last year have been ineffective," Rouhani said in a speech broadcast over national television. "This surgery is for saving the deal, not destroying it”.
He stated that France, the UK, Germany, China, and Russia had 60 days to uphold their terms of the treaty and protect Iranian banking and oil sectors from U.S. sanctions.
"If the five countries join negotiations and help Iran to reach its benefits in the field of oil and banking, Iran will return to its commitments according to the nuclear deal," Rouhani said.
U.S. Sec. of State, Mike Pompeo didn’t seem to think much of President Rouhani’s comments, and told reporters that we will have to “wait and see,” what Iran was up to.
Under increased pressure from the Trump administration, the safety within the effectiveness of a nuclear deterrent is perhaps looking more and more desirable for Iran.